Friday, March 23, 2007

How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?

In Layman's terms, obviously.

I had read about electrolysis and that just didn't sound like any fun. Plus, as I mentioned in an earlier entry, it sounded like it would take quite a long time.

According to what I've read, laser hair removal works like this:

The laser, controlled by a technician, targets the hair in its growth stage. As it does this, it destroys the pigment in the hair and, as such, causes regrowth to stop. Apparently, because this laser works on the pigment, the ideal candidate for the process is someone who has dark hair, but light skin. Luckily, I'm an ideal candidate. I say luckily, but personally, I'd rather *not* have the dark hair, but hey, that's the reason that I'm here.

Another thing that I've discovered in my research: there are some treatment centers that use a "light" (some sites have referred to this as a "traditional light") that can do the same thing as a laser. However, this isn't true laser hair removal. What's odd is that I've seen this very thing ("a light pulse" is what it was called) advertised through magazines and television as permanent hair reduction.

Apparently, this is wrong-o. The hair has to be targeted by a laser in order for the hair growth to be stunted permanently.

Now, remember when I said that the laser targets the hair in its growth stage? Right. Well, before you go for your appointment, you're going to be asked to shave the area that is to be treated. I've heard that if you have hair that isn't shaved, the laser will melt it or it will wind up burning your skin. Doesn't sound pleasant to me. Some salons will offer to shave the area for you. Others will ask you to do it before you come in. And obviously, if you grow hair quicker than others (like me), you'll want to do this not long before your appointment.

So, back to the growth stage element. The laser targets the hair in its growth stage. The thing is, hair grows a different rates. This basically means that, when you go in for your appointment, not all of your hairs are going to be affected by the laser. So, in short, you're going to have to go back for second or third treatments usually. Sometimes more.

Once the treatment is done, it's going to appear like the hair is growing back, but what it's actually doing is "shedding." After this, you'll be able to see just how much of the hair is actually regrowth and what was taken care of with the first treatment.

By the way, if any of you out there in webland have any laser hair removal stories that you'd like to share (anonymously!), please feel free to contact me. It's all well and good to hear a doctor or a technician describe it, but to hear it from someone who has actually undergone the procedure brings it home. When I had breast augmentation done, that's how it was for me. Because of talking to the people I talked to, I knew exactly what to expect that a doctor couldn't have really understood.

Next post, I'll be going over what I've found out about costs. Til then!

8 comments:

t said...

I am a 26 year male, with a very,very hairy back! Also extreamly intrested in not shaving, IE girlfriend, Dad or more humilitating Mom shave my back. I am patient, I understand things take time and money to be worth while. I live next to the beach and own a boat so i'm always w/out a shirt during the summer (embarrased about my back hair, and humilated when asking a girl i'm dating,brother, roomate,Dad and Mom to shave it). In July of last year i paid for a year in advance for a "discount" of a year worth of treatments! The Laser is the "YAY", "newest and fasted". I was told it would probaly be 6- 8 sessions. I have a olive complextion and very course hair, they said perfect canidated! While there I don't know if they don't understand the diffrece between the neck and back but didn't treat my neck to sholder blades? anyway i didn't care b/c @ the time i had $ and want to never have to shave my neck, which is another story, neck, not back of neck not side of neck, i never took antouny or can spell it but neck to me is the area inbetween your tourso and head... I'mnot one to bitch, but i did pay a good deal of $ to never have to go through the humilating process of having my mother or a girl that im dating to shave my back or neck. I have had over 11 treatments and still have hair, they turn the laser up one underthe highest setting and have to giove me painkillers, its painfull. I understand the Doc POV but look at mine. and i have a a good reduction however, not what i feel i paid for.

bestonline323 said...

Hair grows in cycles. The number of Laser Hair Removal treatments required depends upon your skin colour, hair colour and coarseness of the hair. Everyone will require at least 6 - 8 treatments as the process is only effective on hair during the early growing cycle. Repeat sessions will be necessary to treat these follicles when they re-enter the early growth phase.

Every treatment, like every client, is unique. Individual treatments will vary according to skin and hair colour, the lighter the client's skin and the darker the hair, the better the results to be expected. If an individual has dark skin and dark hair they can still be treated, but may require additional treatments. We can treat all ages, Male and Female clients.

Blonde, Red or Grey hair can not be treated.

Once your Laser Hair Removal treatment has started, forcing the hair from the follicle will reverse the effect of the treatment. Therefore waxing, plucking and emjoy are not recommended. However, clients may shave, trim, use depilatory creams or clippers between treatments.

After receiving a treatment on more visible areas (example - facial area), clients may return to work or your daily activities shortly after the treatment, as there may only be slight redness which will dissipate within 1 hour. You may apply make up to the facial area within 30 min after the treatment.

Cheers,
Bella
Laser Hair Removal In Chicago

Theou said...

Boy, this is much like using a club to open a can. I just got off a site by Intrepid Labs that looks really good. They claim to have a solution to irritable shaving and skin rebounding. Wow. I really want on of these. I hope they get going really soon. It looks like they just got their patent pending on the technology. I called them and asked about the price. Seems it could be $29.95 but they would not swear by it. Patiently waiting

Matt said...

I have been doing a lot of research on this topic and your blog is one of the better resources I have found. I also found this laser hair removal site to be valuable as well. I have basically come to the conclusion that it is best to just get a home laser to do the job yourself. I haven't decided whether to get Tria or Gillete, but I think I have it narrowed down to those two brands.

Unknown said...

The treated hairs by the laser fall out. After about one month the hair follicles that have survived gradually start growing back. But on the average with each session, approximately one third of the hairs treated never return back and, therefore, are permanently removed.


laser hair removal

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
conradmoore said...

This site is very helpful, in removing my unwanted hairs I take time in searching such informative blogs that might help my problems. This related blogs might also helpful you gotta see this to have such great results.